“I haven’t seen you in a month of Sundays!”
Anybody else heard that phrase? I grew up hearing it, but perhaps it is restricted to sleepy Southern towns. In case you aren’t familiar, it means “I haven’t seen you in a long time.”
My point for this is that I haven’t blogged in a month of Sundays. #sorryboutit
Buuuutttttttt I have a good excuse! I’ve been super busy living my best life. Y’all can’t be mad at me for that, right? 🙂 Here are a few deets from some things I’ve gotten into over this month of Sundays:
Chi-stravaganza (feat. my boo and my besties)
My boyfriend and I left after work on Friday and drove down to Chicago for the weekend. We stayed with my college BFF Cornelius, one of my best friends from college, and did so many fun things:
- Went to a brewery and played Apples to Apples while enjoying some delicious craft beer. This particular brewery didn’t serve food, so we ordered in burgers (for the omnivores) and fries (for the vegetarian and vegan). Those fries were the crispiest, tastiest french fries I’d had in quite some time–the first of many delicious foods I enjoyed that weekend.
- Played a few games of Uno over breakfast with the boo, then hit up the lakefront for the Air and Water Show. We took a bus downtime, found a sunny spot by the lake, and watched huge planes do spectacular things–so impressive! I struggle to keep my composure flying economy on Delta so I know I’d be freaking out if I was in the cockpit of a Navy jet.
- Had drinks at a rooftop bar called Cindy’s. You could also see the Air and Water Show from here, which was even cooler than watching it by the lake because it felt like the planes were flying right past your face. We met another friend from college (a former speech competitor from UT-Austin) and had a blast catching up.
- Ate a delicious dinner at the Chicago Diner–and it was VEGAN! The poutine was fabulous; I would dare any meat/dairy eater not to enjoy it. The strawberry milkshake I had for dessert was phenomenal. I can’t wait to go back there again!
- Watched an awesome burlesque performance by The Fly Honey Show. The show featured men and women of every body type and ethnicity. It was funny and poignant and like nothing I’ve ever seen. If you can catch a show, I’d highly recommend it!
Devil’s Lake Hiking Adventure
My wonderful boyfriend couldn’t believe I’d never been to Devil’s Lake (apparently it’s a Madison institution) so he took me for a hike! It was tougher than I expected–I thought we’d be walking along flat trails, which did NOT happen–but I made it to the top. I felt so empowered looking over the edge at the spectacular view.
After the hike, we went back to the car and took the ferry route back home. The ferry was so cool! There was a little snack stand where you could get ice cream while you waited for the ferry to arrive. Once we drove onto the ferry, we got out of the car and watched as we went across the lake. Check out a few photos below:
This weekend is MY 30TH BIRTHDAY! My boo has some stuff up his sleeve (I’m not sure what) and I’m also planning to eat hella cake. Why? Because this is a celebration! My 20s were kind of tumultuous: graduating from college, moving to Madison, two failed engagements (including one that was abusive), taking on home ownership, a career change, and an ongoing legal battle all took place during this time. I’m hoping my 30s are a bit calmer–I’ve got my house, my car, my career, and a stable relationship with a wonderful man. I couldn’t be more blessed to make it to 30 and I can’t wait to see what comes next.